Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

27.12.10

It has been a few days since my last blog but that is mainly due to the fact that I have been really poorly with a heavy cold and have been sleeping a lot and mostly at the wrong time of the day. I missed half of Christmas day and all of Boxing Day as I felt so rough, but I believe half of the British Isles are also suffering with the “lurgy” too!

Some of you may have noticed that I have re edited a page that I posted on the 16.12.10. The whole idea of my blog was to document my journey, the good, the bad and the ugly from before and after my gastric bypass operation. Unfortunately, by doing this I have hurt and fatally damaged a relationship with a long time girlfriend which I bitterly regret, and at the time of writing did not think of anything other than detailing the facts of my day. Although I never lied about any of the content of that day or any other, it did cause upset and hurt which was never my intention and I should have thought of that at the time of writing but I was detailing facts and not thinking about the wider implications. There is no point apologising as the former friend is not interested but I have never intended to hurt anyone ever when writing my blog. So to not to cause further hurt or upset to her, I have removed the paragraph concerned.

Well they say feed a cold and starve a fever, and as per normal with me, nothing puts me off my food. I managed to eat a pan au chocolat and half a croissant for breakfast on Christmas morning, which Oliver had cooked in the hopes I would come downstairs and allow the present opening to begin. Paul had already been telling them they had to wait for me and as long as the coffee is made, I’ll surface. Still feeling rough, I drop back to sleep in the recliner chair as soon as the tree has been emptied of all presents. Oliver is working at the pub again today and Paul gets ready to take him to work and then goes to meet his mates in the pub for an hour. As we are due to go to Mum’s for Christmas dinner I dually, if somewhat slowly get my act together and dress as smartly as I can but wrap up warm as I can too. I am pleased to say the new red top and cardigan I bought before Christmas to slim into, fitted lovely and I was quite surprised.

For Christmas dinner we bought a 3 bird roast from Sainsbury’s. Think it was Guinea fowl, Duck and Turkey. I am nervous about eating the turkey as I had chicken earlier in the week and it still makes me sick. Luckily Mum has also cooked a leg of Lamb nice and pink at my request and I have a small amount of Lamb and Duck, but as I can’t eat it all, Callum helps me out. It does make me sad as I have always been a big meat eater, and now I am finding a lot of my meals are bordering on vegetarian. I have always been a fan of good tasting gravy and as I had Lamb, I had the mint sauce that had run into the gravy making it so delicious. I think I could drink that endlessly. Yum!

I haven’t really consumed much in the way of alcohol this Christmas unless it was Whiskey in my hot toddies, which was purely for medicinal reasons. I wasn’t even interested in the Merlot or Shiraz that was on offer on Christmas day to go with our meal. Not that you can eat and drink together anymore. I only had a sip and decided it wasn’t what I wanted. The same thing happened when we had a schooner of Sloe Gin. I am not a huge drinker of alcoholic beverages but now and again I enjoy a glass but I am just as happy without it. What I object to is being charged 3 times more for a non alcoholic drink in a pub that an alcoholic one. Just like paying 3 times more for bread that hasn’t been stripped of all its nutrients and the awful white plastic bread is pennies but has had to endure far more processing to get to that stage. Is it me?

I also ate a couple of Mum’s homemade sausage rolls but I am not a lover of pastry so Mum’s dog Max decides he is now my best friend and he helps me out with them. Scared of having the dumping syndrome again, I am careful that anything sweet I have is no more than a taster. I think it was a good thing now that I had made myself so sick, as at least I will not go there again.

I find I am ok with dark chocolate, but that still contains sugar, so I limit myself with that, and spread the sugary foods over a period of time. I am still amazed at myself for not being interested in the large tub of Quality Street Mum was offering to us all.

Paul surprised us all and purchased a whole side of smoked Salmon for a family Christmas present from the internet, so Boxing Day we all enjoyed that meal, it definitely melted in your mouth. I think I would have cried buckets, had I not been able to eat smoked Salmon any more.

I have found today I have wanted to pick and nibble at foods, but I know it is not necessarily about being hungry and I will at times ignore the noises in my stomach that could be equally be about drink and not about food, but I want it to be for food, and that’s what I give my body. Deep down, I know it is not really food my body needs, but my head needs the food, and I want to satisfy it.

This evening I had some Ham and I knew I was eating it too fast but I was in my old stuffing mode and kept trying to pull back the reins but I was over eager to consume those morsels and by the time I have finished the Ham, I am feeling sick. It was a Ham that I had cooked myself, and after the kids had had some for tea there was a smallish chunk sitting lonely in the corner of the dish, so naturally for me, I gave it a home, if somewhat temporary. As you have probably guessed the Ham had no intentions of staying put and decided to make reappearance pretty quickly! My own fault entirely, but I knew this would happen but it was too late to re chew it. I don’t behalf like this with Bacon, or Duck or Lamb, but Ham, Beef and Poultry seem to bring out the gluttony in me and I eat it too fast and I do endeavour to chew slowly with them but it must be old habits, and I am ill whenever I eat them.

Tinned Tuna is another funny one, depends on the make but the chunks are fine if not too strong or “fishy” but Paul picked up the tuna flakes from Tesco’s and they definitely don’t agree with me and after one or two bits I was feeling very unwell.

I have found another strange one is Grapes; I can eat a small amount of dried fruit in sliced fruit bread but cannot eat grapes as they really upset my stomach just like the stewed apple did, and I can’t eat cake with dried fruit in, especially mince pies. In fact the only fruit I can eat successfully is a Banana. I don’t seem to have any problems with vegetables, and it’s too bloody cold to look at a salad, and I am in no particular hurry to find out if that is ok in my stomach for the time being. I am fine with spicy foods but I have to limit baked beans and other type’s legumes as they don’t upset my stomach but give me painful trapped wind. I have found that by either drinking peppermint cordial (from an off licence) with boiling water is brilliant at getting rid of that or polo’s work eventually after having 3-4 of them. Trapped wind is no joke, so I am mindful to avoid it as best I can.

I think Christmas time can be a good testing time as to what your body can tolerate. I have recently discovered I am fine with cheese and onion crisps, chilli peanuts and dry roasted nuts. As these are not every day foods it is nice to know that you can have the odd treat now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment